This medal is one of many dating from the period of the end of Second Northern War which were made in Gdańsk. It was struck in gold, weighing 50 ducats (c. 174 g); designed by Johann Höhn the Elder—a student of Sebastian Dadler—active in Gdańsk from 1636.
The parties to the conflict (in this case those which concluded the peace in 1660: Poland, Sweden, the Holy Roman Empire and Brandenburg, are symbolized on the obverse by four hearts on a sash held by putti, who additionally hold a palm and an olive branch. Above them, a dove flies out of the clouds with an olive branch in its beak. The landscape below, which starts with a growing olive tree, shows the place where the treaty of 3 May 1660 was signed—the Cistercian Monastery in Oliva—and the outlines of Gdańsk and the fortress at the mount of the River Vistula visible in the distance. The rim bears a Latin inscription corresponding to the composition on the obverse, which states (in translation): TO COMMEMORATE THE PEACE/TREATY OF OLIVA NEAR GDAŃSK IN PRUSSIA.
The reverse of the medal shows an allegorical portrayal: a landscape populated with working ploughmen, a port filled with trading vessels and a centrally shown olive tree, which is both a symbol of peace as well as an allusion to the place where it was concluded—Oliva. It is also emphasized by an inscription in Latin which states (in translation): THIS FORTUNATE OIL OF PEACE, THANKS TO WHICH THE HEARTS OF KINGS GROW CLOSER AND THE WOUNDS OF TIME (CENTURIES) ARE HEALED, CAME FROM AN OLIVE TREE. The sun and the moon, surrounded by clouds, symbolize the full cycle of time and show the durability of peace. The whole enterprise is overseen by God—the composition is crowned by the Tetragrammaton.
There is also a silver version of this medal in the Castle’s collection.