Deare’s bust of Stanisław Małachowski differs from other, in particular painted, likenesses of the Marshal due to the rendering of the model. While Johann Baptist von Lampi (portrait of 1791), Antoine-Jean Gros (1793), François-Xavier Fabre (1794), Josef Grassi (1795) and Marcello Bacciarelli (several portraits) depicted Małachowski in contemporary attire with distinctions and wearing a fashionable wig, Deare showed him bareheaded, with a naked torso. This type of likeness, a reference to ancient depictions of outstanding personages, was intended to idealize and glorify the model. Made during Małachowski’s lifetime, while he was in exile in Italy, the bust, may have been the model for the sculptor Massimiliano Laboureur, who was commissioned by Małachowski’s family to make a statue for St. John’s Cathedral in Warsaw (unveiled in 1830), in which he is depicted in the attire of a Roman senator, and with features similar to those in the bust.
Signed J. DEARE / Faciebat / Romae / 1793 on back under left shoulder.
The bust may later have belonged to Michał Ludwik Pac, who married Małachowski’s niece, Maria Karolina, and subsequently Konstanty Radziwiłł in Towiany (Lith. Taujenai). From 1926 it was on loan to the Royal Castle in Warsaw, in the Canaletto Room. In 1939 it was removed by the Germans and in 1947 returned to the National Museum in Warsaw; since 1984 again part of the Royal Castle’s collections.
John Deare (Liverpool 1759–1798 Rome).
English sculptor. Pupil of the Royal Academy, winner of the gold medal in 1780. From 1785 he lived and worked in Rome. He collaborated with Antonio Canova. He was also the author of portraits, copies of ancient works of art and reliefs depicting biblical and mythological scenes in the neoclassical style.
Stanisław Małachowski of the Nałęcz coat of arms (1736–1809). Marshal of the Four Year Sejm, co-author of the Constitution of 3 May. In the period 1792–5, he lived in exile in Vienna and Florence. In the years 1807–9 he was President of the Governing Commission and later of the Senate of the Duchy of Warsaw.